Re-consecration of Christ Church
Sunday, February 13, 1927 was a great day in the history of Christ Lutheran Church and the City of Staunton. It was the time set for the re-consecration
of the chapel of the church.
The building had undergone extensive improvements. Eleven class rooms,
two robe rooms, a librarian’s room and a room to store the property of the women have been added to the chapel increasing
the seating capacity to 360. All rooms open into the chapel auditorium and they
have French glass fronts. This gives abundant light in each room. Ventilation is given to each room. When the rooms are all
closed, there is a beautiful little auditorium complete in itself seating 150 people.
This fills every need of the congregation for small gatherings. The whole
building has been repainted and presents a beautiful appearance. At the entrance
of the chapel there is a fountain with drinking water. Each room has its own
The property committee did its work in a splendid manner and the members sacrificed time and labor to make their part
of the work a fine success, and they have done so.
The day of re-consecration service dawned cloudy, rainy and threatening. A
fine congregation was present. The services began with a processional by the
orchestra under the direction of Leo J. Burnicke.
H. F. Scheele, a former pastor, extended to the congregation and school his best wishes for the success of the work
and congratulated the congregation on the additions to its equipment.
The pastor then called for subscriptions and the finance committee had done its work so well that subscriptions just
poured in. When the lull came in the good work it was found that $2,950 had been
pledged. Less than 10 minutes was taken to secure the money.